There is a well used adage that all evil needs to triumph is that good men do nothing. But there is something even worse – when good men see evil for decade after decade and still do nothing. Such is the state of the western Church. In the NIV, Jeremiah 3, starting at verse 6, is headed ‘unfaithful Israel’. Few Christians would see a parallel between the Israel God judged with invasion and captivity and the western Church over the last 50 years. Israel and Judah actively aligned themselves with foreign powers, embracing their gods and their ways in the hope it would bring them peace, security and acceptability. They ignored God’s prophets who warned them to hold to their covenant with their God and forsake their infatuation with foreign cultures.
The contemporary Church has been thoroughly unfaithful. To garner acceptability it has ignored the significance of Galatians 6:12 and embraced the declining values of a failing western culture. No good has come of it. Its silence or complicity has aided the liberal and atheistic cause by failing to stand in its way. Moral and spiritual cowardice has marked its way as the Church has done everything to remain acceptable to a post-Christian society and avoid persecution. The so called emergent church movement is a stark example of fawning social sycophancy. If God were to send another Jeremiah or an Ezekiel to speak to today’s church, predicting what they would probably say is not difficult. Here is the short list:
- If you love your God, return to obedience to his commands: Stop committing adultery and divorcing the wife of your youth. Honour your bodies as his temple. Stop your promiscuity and reject homosexuality.
- Judge situations on the basis of God’s commands. Do not claim you are not to judge on matters on which God has already judged, providing you are not acting hypocritically.
- Stand against the teaching of evolution. Believe in an old earth if you must, but do not forsake the fact that God committed six literal acts of creation. Defend God as creator and the first and only cause of the cosmos.
- Do not remain silent any longer on the false god Allah and his false prophet. Tear down the pretentious arguments and practices ranged against the true God in the West by this satanic faith.
- Stop supporting the politicians and political parties, that continue with laws and policies God hates, with your vote.
- Publicly tell the people what is good and what is evil – to love God is to hate evil.
- Stop preaching a gospel of relationship and centre it instead on repentance from sin and Jesus as Lord.
- Leaders! Stop cloistering God’s people in your entertainment citadels. Equip them properly to defend the faith(Jude 3) and proclaim the gospel of the kingdom.Send them out to be bold and courageous.
- Publicly and relentlessly bring down the pretentious arguments ranged against God by prominent atheists.
- Advocate changes in society that will glorify God.
The last word goes to Paul and his injunction to the Galatians in 6:7-8. If the western Church is to win back lost ground it must stop trying to please the world and start pleasing God by standing up for him in all spheres, for it is in all spheres of western culture that God’s kingdom is under attack.